Make a luxe statement as you walk into your business meeting or while arriving at a dinner with a colleague. Rich, shimmering shades of gold is the ideal way to achieve a ‘goddess’ effect with a sun-kissed twist. This look has been rocked on the runways and by the biggest celebs. Nicole Richie followed this very of-the-moment trend recently at Fashion Week where she hosted the 10th Annual Style Awards. According to Cosmopolitan, she wore her gorgeous eye makeup with a straight, sleek bob with terracotta bronzer and nude lips. Anyone can wear gold eye shadow. The trick is selecting a warm shade of color that will complement your skin tone.
Choose a Shade
From super sunny to smoky and subtle, golden eyeshadow shades can take on a multitude of looks. It works well for a lively daytime or a sultry evening look and is a warm option for holidays and parties. Choose a shade that will blend well with your eyes and skin tone for the best results. Dark metallic shades, such as a golden bronze, can flatter women with ebony or olive skin tones. Fair skinned women should opt for paler shades of gold with yellow undertones.
Enhance the look by combining your gold shadow with other colors. Gold eyeshadow works well with your basic black smoky eyes for a dramatic nighttime look. Darker bronze hues should be applied in the creases, while lighter shades should become more translucent as they reach the brow bone for proper highlighting. Eyeliner should be neutral for a soft daytime look. Using various forms of eyeshadow such as powder, cream or gel can also create different looks. Refinery29 suggests using a cream liner instead of a pencil when lining your inner rims, as it will stay put longer and is more resistant to smudging and fading.
Get the Look
Begin with clean, moisturized skin which will help to adhere the makeup and make it last longer. Prime the eyelid from lash to brow with a light neutral eyeshadow or face powder. Apply a stick, cream or liquid foundation around the eyes in areas that have increased pigmentation. Blend the concealer well to even out your skin tone with your finger or blending brush. Use a dense applicator brush to apply a wash of gold eye shadow over the entire lid area, stopping at the crease.
Using a dark golden brown, copper or other complementing shade, apply color to the crease and outer edge of the lash line and blend outwards. Use a highlighter around the inner corner of the eye and under the brow bone. Complete the look by applying a subtle wash of eyeshadow with a pinkish tone over the entire eye to add an instant pop of color. For a bolder look, use black eyeliner to line your upper and lower lash line. Darken and lengthen your lashes with a coat or two of black mascara.
Use complementing colors on your cheeks and lips to play up your best feature – your eyes! Opt for a subtle pink cream or fuchsia powder blush on the apples of your cheeks. Lips should be kept neutral to make your eyes the main attraction. Clear gloss on the lips can be used to keep them moisturized during the day. The golden eye look doesn’t work quite as well for women who wear glasses. Really make your eyes pop by making the switch to Coastal.com contacts when rocking your golden lids. Contact lenses are also available in colored selections, allowing you to create a variety of looks using your eye color. Golden makeup enhances brown, hazel and green eyes best.
Ready to Bling it On again? If you love glam things (particularly the hottest makeup looks), there’s still time to show Hpnotiq how you #GlamLouder for a chance to win fab prizes! From now until July 28th 2013, you can submit photos in different categories including the glammest makeup and overall look. Entries can be pictures you snap yourself or images you find online. The glamorous prizes that are still up for grabs include a $1,000 gift card to Sephora or Ulta, a handbag of your choice valued at up to $1000, and of course a grand prize trip for you and three friends to go shopping with a celebrity in Los Angeles.
To enter Hpnotiq’s Glammest Makeup Challenge, going on from now until at 11:59:59 a.m. EST on July 14th, submit a photo of your favorite head-turning makeup style. You can enter as many times as you want. Snap a picture of your own or share your favorite celebrity makeup look. For this round, 4 lucky winners will win a $1000 beauty gift certificate to Sephora or ULTA. If you’re one of the 4 winners, you’ll also be able to compete in the final round for a chance to win the grand prize trip for you and three friends to go shopping with a celebrity Hollywood style in Los Angeles. The grand prize winner will star in a professional photo shoot for the chance to be in a real Hpnotiq Ad. Once you’ve found your fav makeup look, just Click Here to enter, visit Hpnotiq’s Facebook page, OR follow @Hpnotiq on Twitter and tweet them your picture using the hashtag #GLAMLOUDER. You must be 21 to enter. Good luck!
Whenever I do my makeup, I always try to show off my Hpnotiq blue eyes so I love the glamour of a dark and dramatic smokey eye. Above is one of my favorite smokey eye pictures that I submitted to the contest. I hope to recreate this look for an evening event someday.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, but the opinions are all my own.
If you love beauty and the latest trends as much as I do, you’re without a doubt going to want to join ThePinkPanel, an online community of beauty insiders where you can test the latest beauty products right before they even hit the market (and get paid for it!) For the self-professed beauty junkie, PinkPanel is pretty much a dream come true. Membership is completely FREE and you can even make a few bucks to support your shopping habit.
This is how it works:
- Click Here to apply.
- Once approved, you will receive exclusive free samples of skincare/makeup products to test at home.
- You’ll then be asked to complete a few simple online surveys sharing your thoughts and opinions about the latest products. Often you will receive a stipend for your time and opinions ranging from $50 to $200. Each survey is designed to take no more than 20 minutes.
Once a month, PinkPanel randomly selects a lucky member to receive a gift basket of the newest and best beauty products on the market. It’s about time you got something free with no strings attached. So join me in becoming part of one of the most beautiful and fun consumer panels.
Disclaimer: Beauty samples were provided free of charge.
Beauty products are increasingly marketed to have all-natural, totally “green” ingredients that leave your face fresh and your conscience clean. With so many cruelty-free and earth-friendly products out there, why not overhaul your makeup bag for a renewed look that’s gentler on your skin and the planet?
Tool Kit Overhaul
Start your green makeover by updating the toolkit. Swap out your old plastic-based beauty tools for products made with sustainably harvested, naturally renewable materials, such as bamboo. Green-up your beauty kit with these solutions:
- EcoTools: EcoTools are affordable, effective, and made from cruelty-free synthetic bristles and recycled aluminum. A set of six brushes sells for only $13, which makes this 2012 Green Product winner a solid steal for the green girl on a budget, spotlights Instyle Magazine.
- Urban Decay: Urban Decay’s “Good Karma” blurring brush was recognized by the natural beauty blog, Gorgeously Green, as being highly effective at blending makeup without brush marks. Urban Decay has also led the eco-friendly cosmetic industry for years with its cruelty-free products, which identifies this company as a trusted source for superior green goods.
As you perfect your skin every day with foundation, keep in mind that standard foundations contain harmful chemicals that damage the skin over time. Mineral makeup blends create that lustrous look, made with ingredients that are all-natural, antibacterial, and perfect for sensitive skin types.
Refinery29 recommends these top picks for the best up-and-coming mineral makeup brands:
- Inika Mineral Foundation: Silky, soothing, and perfect for sensitive skin, Inika Mineral Foundation is an all-natural product made in Australia. Products are sold at several small online boutiques specializing in skin care, including www.adorebeauty.com.au and www.blush.com.
- Lily Lolo: Made in England, Lily Lolo, is a pretty mineral blend power that has SPF 15 sun protection. It’s also backed by the brand’s commitment to anti-cruelty organizations.
- Everyday Minerals: Everyday Minerals’ affordable, all-American mineral cosmetics prove that natural mineral blends can still be glamorous. The Texas-based company features all-natural, handcrafted vegan products, including shimmery eye shadows and flirty blushers.
Green Beauty Shopping Tips
Reflect on your green goals, and evaluate what beauty product ingredients are most valuable to you. Do you want to avoid animal ingredients and animal testing? Are chemical and additive-free ingredients out of the question? Do you need everyday essentials or crave glamorous on-trend products that take your style from day to night? With some research, you’ll be more prepared to navigate the widening world of green beauty.
Also, many green companies are startups and independent online boutique retailers. While shopping on these smaller ecommerce sites, make sure the company is a reputable company that values consumer privacy. According to Life Lock, retail was the sixth most targeted industry for online shopping identity theft. To avoid an online shopping disaster during your green makeover, create a pleasant experience by first looking for a website’s security seal and https in its URL. Search the web for reviews of green companies and take standard precautions while shopping online, such as storing strong passwords for each of your online accounts.
I’ve long been a fan of Elizabeth Arden‘s luxurious cosmetics and rich heritage. Even as a child, I couldn’t resist trying on a lipstick or a blush when stopping by the Elizabeth Arden counter with my mom at the department store. Now, I turn to her products to fight the early signs of aging and look flawless with long-lasting lip and eye colors. I’m especially obsessed with the Ceramide Capsules Daily Youth Restoring Serum because it leaves my skin absolutely glowing by restoring its much-needed moisture.
Hydrating your skin is not only important when it comes to the anti-aging process, it’s also incredibly important to restore moisture while traveling. I never thought to bring moisturizer in my carry-on before. But, after getting amazing travel beauty tips from Elizabeth Arden‘s Global Makeup Artist, Rebecca Restrepo, there’s no way I’m heading to the airport again without a few Ceramide Capsules on hand. Be sure to check out the rest of Rebecca Restrepo‘s travel tips and top product picks for summer.
Ceramide Capsules Daily Youth Restoring Serum delivers the right amount of hydration and ceramide benefits in an efficient way. Ceramides comprise 50% of the essential lipids found in the skin and are essential in maintaining defense against signs of aging. Since they’re individually packaged, these capsules are perfect for travel.
Elizabeth Arden’s NEW Beautiful Color Luminous Lip Gloss offers high-shine along with increased moisture with Mango and Shea Butters with a light vanilla scent. The key ingredient, Maxi Lip, is clinically proven to increase lip volume by 40%! I love having multiple colors in my purse for quick touch ups throughout the day.
The legendary Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant was created by Elizabeth Arden herself in 1930 and the original formula still remains. This skincare classic is one of my favorite moisturizers because it absorbs so well into the skin. It can be used to treat dry skin, soothe sunburn, smooth cuticles, and even shape brows.
Beauty Travel Tips from Rebecca Restrepo, Global Makeup Artist at Elizabeth Arden:
- Skincare is even more important when traveling. I love multi-use products and ones that can be packed in a carry-on bag. The Ceramide Capsules Daily Youth Restoring Serum delivers so much moisture. I apply mine mid-flight for extra hydration and also use as a makeup primer when traveling.
- Skin can get very dehydrated when flying, so Eight Hour Cream is essential! I apply to my lips before every flight and use it on my hands and elbows throughout flight. I like to warm up the product in the palms of my hands before applying to my skin, helping it activate and absorb quickly.
- Someone once told me that solids travel better than liquids, so now I never go anywhere without my Flawless Finish Sponge-On Cream Makeup. It provides as much coverage as I need, without making a mess in my makeup bag.
- Before I land after a long flight, the perfect pick-me-up is a touch blush to brighten the cheeks, a swipe of brightening shadow to open the eye and a dab of rosy lip gloss. To achieve this fresh and well-rested look, Ceramide Cream Blush in Nectar, Beautiful Color Eye Shadow in Innocence, and Beautiful Color Luminous Lip Gloss in Sweet Pink are my go-to products.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, but the opinions are all my own.