I never imagined a world without Oscar de la Renta. So when I heard that he’d passed, I didn’t know how to process the news. Ever since I was a little girl watching celebrities walk down the red carpet alongside Fashion Week coverage on the Style Network, the Oscar de la Renta gowns were always my favorite.
No one has ever understood the female form or the elements of femininity more than de la Renta. His gowns wore by royalty, first ladies and movie stars will always bring out the elegance and beauty of the women wearing them. While this is a devastating loss for the fashion community and world, I’ll rest easy tonight knowing he lived the fulfilling life of a fashion genius.
With the pressures of the real world constantly building up, I often like to pretend that I’m back in college. Over the weekend, I relived my collegiate years when I sat front row at New York’s College Fashion Week hosted by Her Campus. Having covered New York Fashion Week for many seasons, I wasn’t sure what to expect. However, after an amazing evening of fashion, talent and fun, I wish that I was back in college more than ever and can’t wait to experience College Fashion Week all over again next year.
The evening started off with cocktails, hairdos by TRESemmé, custom foundation by bareMinerals and eyebrows by European Wax Center. When the show began, college students who could have been mistaken for professional models strutted down the runway in the latest fall fashions from boohoo.com.
While the first collection consisted of imperial styles filled with sleek military glam, the second was entitled “Brooklyn Princess” and featured pink, powdery sporty separates. The third collection, Woodlanders, was my favorite. I loved the forest prints and earthy hues for fall. In between each collection, talented college students performed incredible music and dance routines including Columbia Sharp, Columbia University’s All Male A Capella group. I guess that’s something New York Fashion Week doesn’t have – cute Ivy League men singing John Legend ballads.
Anyone who’s anyone still doesn’t live as fabulous a life as Choupette Lagerfeld. As the famous first lady of Chanel, Karl Lagerfeld’s adorable feline is pampered with all the Chanel couture, maids and fabulousness she can handle. In Choupette’s world, white will always be the new black. As a fellow socialite, she was kind enough to grant me an interview.
1. What advice do you have for people looking to live the socialite life?
The first step is to surround yourself with the right crowd. Or if you’re lucky enough (like moi), be born into fashion royalty.
2. How do you feel about Hello Kitty not being a real cat?
I feel like my childhood has been a lie. But, it’s one less feline to compete with.
3. What would you do if you saw someone carrying a fake Chanel bag?
The claws would come out!
4. You’ve already accomplished more than most humans. What do you have planned next after a book, a makeup line and collections inspired by you?
The sky is the limit for the Choupette empire!
5. What’s the key to success in the fashion industry?
Work hard as an intern, but delegate & produce like a CEO.
6. How does it feel to be the inspiration around various fashion collections?
Can felines be humble?
7. Who is your favorite fashion icon?
Excuse the cliche, but Daddy Karl Lagerfeld of course!
8. What’s the most important etiquette a socialite should follow?
Be seen and not heard. But, when you’re heard, make it on the front page of Women’s Wear Daily!
9. How many maids does one need to lead a comfortable life?
What I love most about fall is breaking out my skinny jeans, boots and light sweaters. The comfortable chill in the air, gets me thinking about Halloween and apple cider. The changing leaves also play a huge role in my style choices during the fall months. In celebration of fall, here’s my shopping list of fab fall fashions:
3. Camel Detachable Fur Lined Hood Contrast Trims Cape: I’ve always wanted a cape and this one is to die for! Fall is the best time to wear capes as they can be a stylish alternative to a light jacket. With winter being so cold, they often get covered up. So take the opportunity to show them off during fall.
4. Sephora Favorites Draw The Line: I love black eyeliner, especially liquid. However, I don’t wear it much in the summer because the heat often melts it off. So in the fall, I kind of go crazy with the liner.
5. Vince Camuto ‘Karita’ Over the Knee Boots: There’s nothing sexier for fall than over the knee boots. Aside from being sexy, they keep you warm and go with anything. With all the walking I do around NYC, I wore out my old pair last year. I’m dying to get these.