I often find that some of the most beautiful and unique designs are made by eco and socially conscious brands. Inkkas, a custom-made brand of shoes handcrafted at a family-owned workshop in Lima, Peru is currently looking to raise funds to bring the company’s fall line to the U.S. market. In addition to bringing genuine South American shoes to the U.S., a portion of all proceeds are donated to local South American communities to help protect the Amazon rainforest and its’ native inhabitants. Since I love a good cause and original design, I’m giving away a pair of Inkkas from their 2013 collection. Here are the options:
Slate Slip Ons
Leather Midtop Montezuma
Cotton Candy Slip On
Leather Midtop Desert
*To win a pair of Inkkas, leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite pair, shoe size, and email.
Last week, I had the privilege of attending the Pronovias Atelier 2014 Fashion Show hosted by Petra Nemcova. The collection was not only incredibly modern, but also incredibly epic with hints of ancient Grecian and cyborg influences. To put it simply, this Pronovias collection was Greek Goddess meets Grace Kelly. The ornate headpieces were especially incredible and the background of St. James’ Church mirrored that of an authentic wedding.
This weekend I attended the launch of Isabelle Armstrong Bridal Couture at Penthouse 45 as part of New York’s Bridal Fashion Week. It was a breathtaking collection perfect for the modern bride who still wants incorporate tradition. The collection ranged from flowing ball gowns to short cocktail style dresses all of which said, “I have a full time job, but my husband (to be) still pays for dinner.”
Known as lovers of authenticity, revivers of retro fashion, and promoters of underground music, hipsters are a growing subculture that we still feel we don’t have the whole scoop on. But, regardless of the loathing they may attract for one reason or another, you can always count on their unique fashion sense. After all, these are the people who brought the Wayfarers back! Speaking of which, here are five popular hipster sunglasses I can’t get enough of, as worn by the stars:
1. Ralph Lauren 8071W Sunglasses, as seen on Leandra Medine (Man Repeller.) Houndstooth print is what makes these sunglasses stand out. However, it’s the simple shape that makes them so good: small round lenses and a keyhole nose bridge. They’ve also been sported by Kirsten Dunst and Beyonce.
2. Ray Ban Wayfarers, as seen on Robert Pattinson. As mentioned before, Wayfarers are a huge part of hipster fashion. Men and women wear them alike, whether they’re famous or not. And while a simple, black frame can be stylish, colorful, printed frames are way more hip. Find more styles by clicking here.
3. Karen Walker Northern Lights, as seen on Alexa Chung. When Karen Walker used “advanced” models to showcase their eyewear collection, all hipsters went wild. This particular style features an oversized cat eye shape – so retro! – in classic tortoiseshell.
4. Urban Outfitters Heartbreaker Sunglasses, as seen on Lana del Rey. The singer revives Lolita style with her famous heart shaped sunglasses. She even sings about them in “Diet Mountain Dew” and “Every Man Gets His Wish,” as a reference to the famous Nabokov movie and the resulting movie.
5. Prada 04PS Sunglasses, as seen on Katy Perry. Embellished sunglasses couldn’t have been missing from this hipster list! These Pradas feature gemstones all across the upper side of the frames, combined with a retro inspired cat eye shape, and they’ve also been spotted on Rihanna.
London Fashion Week, displaying the upcoming trends of Spring/Summer 2014, has recently finished, having been hot on the heels of New York Fashion Week earlier in September. Of course, these fashion weeks are all designer heavy, and rather than tell us exactly what we can expect to see in high street shops over the coming months, they merely give us a great idea of where the inspiration is going to come from.
What were the highlights of London Fashion Week that we’re most looking forward to seeing early in the New Year?
Black and White Abstracts
Day One of London Fashion Week saw Jean-Pierre Braganza’s latest collection as the main highlight. We loved this as it is easy to see many of his featured garments replicated in fashion stores, and it is equally as easy to imagine wearing such styles both in the office and when socializing with friends.
The collection was built mainly around the use of black and white, but with dashes of red and grey used at times, too. The focus of the show was above the knee dresses that will go a long way to dealing with the interpretation of smart casual for many professional women early next year. However, flimsy shirts and trousers were also on show and are likely to be popular, while baby pink designs were also on show for those looking to stay away from the black against white look.
For those who want an idea of runway designs will translate straight into fashion stores, Jasper Conran, who supplies Debenhams, is a great place to look. While Conran followed Braganza in terms of having a range that is suitable for multiple uses, there was an unmistakable feeling of summer about this show that we didn’t have in the earlier example.
Various shades of yellow are going to be a huge ‘must have’ come Spring 2014, while deciding whether to don your colors with a dress or vintage shirt and skirt is likely to be your one big conundrum.
Stella Strikes Gold
Women who love to look good while getting fit have found that clothes have become much more in tune with their objectives in recent years. Adidas have played a key role in this, employing Stella McCartney to work with them on a number of designs. Stella has delivered the goods once again, as she demonstrated with her show on the final day of London Fashion Week. Whether it’s a sleeveless sweatshirt hoodie in effervescent orange or a rainproof performance jacket, wearing Adidas by Stella will make you look brilliant and give you an extra boost when trying to burn off this morning’s double latte and chocolate muffin!
While Nazir Mazhar has gotten himself something of a reputation for delivering ‘OMG’ fashion, he undoubtedly knows more than anyone about the latest urban trends, irrespective of whether anyone will actually buy a pink one-piece bikini to wear with fishnet stockings.
Yes, that really happened, and was definitely a highlight of the week, even if there weren’t any immediate takers for his fashions, he still earned many gasps and nods of the head!
This Guest Post is written by Matilda loves reporting on the latest fashion shows from around the world, and after completing her degree hopes to gain a job doing so with a top magazine. Matilda herself enjoys wearing urban fashion, with G-Star jeans being her favorite brand, although she also loves wearing Adidas and New Era apparel, too.