Elegant place settings
The first fire of the season
Quality cousin time
Thanksgiving dinner round 2
Making new friends (I adore April)
Close your eyes and picture trees swaying in the breeze, steam rising up from the bubbling hot tub, scented candles glowing, margaritas and champagne flowing. After a long week at the office, why not throw a party filled with relaxation and TLC that no guest could turn down an invitation to. Transforming your backyard into a stylish spa oasis for the night will be an experience for guests to remember.
Hot Tub Illumination
The hot tub will no doubt be a popular focal point for your spa-themed evening. Draw guests into the water with alternating colored lights from beneath the water. Guests will flock as the steam above the water blends from one color to the next. Be sure to give these new hot tub parts a test run before the big night.
Some guests will come to soothe themselves after being on their feet all week. Create an area that acts as a natural extension for guests leaving the hot tub:Set up comfy bean bag chairs or throw over-stuffed pillows on deck chairs with fluffy fleece blankets.
- Place a small nesting table beside each chair with lavender and mint eye-masks.
- Offer a centralized area among this grouped seating with fruit and herbal water to rehydrate after the long soak in the hot tub.
- Place a speaker behind this area that still allows guests to enjoy music, but at a more muted level.
Overstock is a great place to select unique furniture to create this look without breaking the bank.
There are two things that don’t mix in the spa: glass and ice. We’ve got the solution for that:
- Fancy glassware: Just because it isn’t glass doesn’t mean it can’t be attractive. Choose white melamine stemware that can be frozen beforehand to create a frosted touch to keep bubbles crisp.
- Light up ice cubes: The morning of your party, place trays of light-up cubes in the freezer. When it’s time to party, display cubes on an ice block or large bowl of shaved ice.
- Illuminated ice buckets: Nobody likes warm champagne. To keep guests happily imbibing, place illuminated buckets with champagne around the seating areas so guests may help themselves throughout the night.
Conversation Plates for Easy Mingling
Guests love to eat, drink and chat, but juggling a plate and drink between each hand makes it hard to relax. Offer guests stylish acrylic plates designed with a cut out area to balance stemware. Now they’ll have a hand free to shake and converse with. The Gifted Grape offers this style of dinnerware in several sizes and finishes.
A little game of croquet goes a long way to help strangers become friends. A fun way to break the ice, croquet is a sleek and stylish game that’s great for guys and gals. For guests looking to enliven their night, a colorful classic croquet set from the Relaxation Station set up in your yard can be an inviting sight. Be sure to place one of your illuminated champagne buckets near the station for thirsty guests to get a refill as they play. Anthropology boasts a beautiful set your guests will love.
The greatest honor as a blogger, is to be recognized by a fellow blogger. So when Tiffany Khyla who I met after joining the HerCampus blogger network nominated me for a Sunshine Award, a blogger to blogger award dedicated to those who bring sunshine into another blogger’s days, I couldn’t be more excited! The rules are to acknowledge the blogger who nominated you, share 11 random facts about yourself, list 11 bloggers, post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate, and let them know they have been nominated. So here I go spreading more sunshine to the fellow bloggers in my life.
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I’m an Irish/Latina
2. I love horror movies
3. I live in Manhattan and love it
4. I’m originally from Wilmington, DE
5. Zack Morris from Saved by the Bell was my first crush
6. My blog was inspired by the 2008 financial crisis
7. I’m a vegetarian
8. I have the same birthday as Beyonce (September 4th)
9. I wore braces for three years
10. Someday I would like Mila Kunis to play me in a movie
11. Even though I’m a fashion blogger, I still have trouble walking in heels
My Answers to Tiffany’s Questions:
1. What is your favorite thing about autumn?
Halloween!! I love dressing up and spending hours watching horror films!
2. What will you be doing for Thanksgiving this year?
Visiting family in New Hampshire
3. Talk about one of your favorite memories.
Moving into my college dorm and starting a new and exciting chapter in my life was amazing! Almost all my memories of college were amazing. I miss my time at Syracuse.
4. Who is the most influential person in your life?
My mother is awesome! We talk on the phone almost everyday and she comes in see me in New York once a month.
5. If you had to be an animal for a day, what animal would you be?
I would so be a dolphin! It would be so fun to jump around in the water for a day.
6. What would you do if there was nothing to hold you back from doing it?
Travel the world in high style! And blog about it of course…
7. What is one accomplishment that you’re very proud of?
Getting my first full time job and apartment in New York.
8. What is your favorite book?
The Virgin Suicides
9. If you could meet one celebrity today, who would you meet?
Kate Middleton hands down!
10. What is one movie character you would like to be for a day?
Cher from Clueless!
11. What is your favorite thing about your blog?
My favorite thing about my blog is the people I’ve met and the connections I’ve made through blogging.
Questions for my Nominees:
1. What inspired you to start your blog?
2. What’s your favorite movie?
3. If you could be a fictional character for the day who would you be?
4. What would you do if you were a socialite?
5. What’s the best place you’ve ever visited?
6. What was the first concert you went to?
7. If you could sit front row at any designer’s runway show, whose would it be?
8. Who is your celebrity crush?
9. What’s your favorite spa service?
10. What’s your all time favorite show?
11. Tell me a funny story…
Fashion is all about coming up with something new. High fashion wants to be bolder, brasher, more elegant, more surreal. We can’t always make the styles we see on the catwalk wearable, but one of the most promising areas we can take inspiration from is the jewelry. Stones are playing a large part in accessory trends this year, and it’s only a matter of time before we start including them in our everyday outfits.
Emerald is one of the most vibrant choices. Look for large cut stones hugged by a gold holding base, simple silver chains, or bracelets with flecks of color and serpentine rings with green eyes. Try matching to the passion for white on the catwalk or returning to vintage style a la Downton Abbey. For those that wear darker more sumptuous styles, emerald is an excellent choice when combined with the LBD and dark evening wear.
A controversial, but growing jewelry choice is to include pieces of amber on silver jewelry. Although technically not a stone, this resin deserves a place due to its slow burn popularity and powerful warm coloring. The icy backdrop makes the rich oranges and reds pop. Jewelers are creating far more stylized silver jewelry accented with stones to bring complex designs to life. Look for beautifully polished surfaces of amber resin or the modernist twisting and wrapping of silver across the stone’s surface.
Colored crystal is an incredibly versatile accessory with a variety of textures and shapes for different looks. For a strong rocker look, jagged chunks of crystal set on a think base of gold are becoming popular. Mixing luxury with the hard edge of the rocker lifestyle is often seen on the runway. Sleeker pieces of blue and purple crystal are perfect for evening wear and look stunning against a purple or white outfit.
Sapphires are currently huge in Indian fashion. Sapphire stones are great for any skin tone and they complement both silver and gold perfectly while adding a rich splash of color to any outfit. Look for chunky stone rings, traditional chandelier earrings, or simple pendants with one large stone. Due to its strong color, sapphires are good candidates for street style accessorizing.
Agate is incredibly varied in color and pattern, this soft-toned stone makes a great accessory for those interested in tribal styles as well as an option for people who prefer pastel colored pieces. Pair agate with a tribal outfit of warm oranges and browns. High fashion prefers to use the raw product. I’ve seen a number of chain necklaces linking shards of agate in different jewel tones worn with a muted bohemian outfit.
Though everyday people are still struggling to escape the claws of the recession, there’s no reason not to follow the latest fashions. If you’re looking for a one of a kind piece, make it! A number of jewelry making sites have burst onto the scene over the last couple of years and now is the best time to experiment with creating stone bead bracelets and shard necklaces. You can follow the rough-cut agate trend very easily by making your own pieces of jewelry.
If there’s one thing every girl spends hours prepping for, it’s a date with that special someone. While guys just throw something on and head out the door, hopefully, ready to pull out chairs and pick up the check, women spend hours finding the perfect outfit, hair style, and makeup. To me, the secret to getting ready for the perfect date is to wear something you’re comfortable in and really play it up. Never wear something on a date that you wouldn’t normally wear in everyday life. When you’re comfortable in your outfit, you’re more comfortable in your own skin making it easier to open up to someone you’re interested in getting to know better.
If you don’t normally wear heels, don’t wear heels. If you don’t normally wear a lot of makeup, don’t cake on the makeup just because you’re going on a date. Be yourself, only improved by adding a statement necklace to your favorite sweater or showing off that smokey eye you just perfected. For a fall date, my favorite thing to wear is leggings, knee high boots, and a sweater dress because it’s dressy without being overly dressy and I love the comfortable chicness of leggings.
No matter what your date style, the best date night accessory is always fresh breath. So before I say hello to my boyfriend, I say hello to hello seriously friendly oral care products. With delicious flavors like Sweet Cinnamint, Pink Grapefruit Mint, Supermint, and Mojito Mint, hello mouthwash and hello toothpaste are as vital to my date prep routine as mascara. When getting ready to leave, I love matching their adorable purse sized breath sprays to my outfit. Hello products don’t contain alcohol so they’ll never dry out your mouth. Designed by BMW DesignworksUSA, they will keep your bathroom looking chic. All hello products are made in the USA and nothing is tested on animals. So if you want to stock up for your next round of dates, you can find hello at Walgreens, Duane Reade, Target, and CVS.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post, but the opinions are all my own.