It’s Valentine’s Day and I’m so thankful for all the love I’m feeling. Last night my boyfriend surprised me with roses and champagne. I’m so happy to have him in my life and thankful for all the ways we make each other better people. On top of all the romance, I’m ecstatic to have the love of my family, friends and readers. Happy Valentine’s Day my loves! xoxo
It’s that time of year again where it feels like everyone is in love. If you are in love (like me) congratulations. But, if you’re single and spending Valentine’s Day alone, is that really such a bad thing? Of course not. If you can’t be with the one you love, there’s an app for that.
With everything you could be doing, there’s no reason to get caught up in the Valentine’s Day pressure. Here are my top 5 online activities to occupy yourself with on February 14th:
1. iTunes Movie Trailers (app or website)
How better to drown your sorrows or celebrate your celibacy than indulging in some movie trailers? Even if you’ve already read the book, the second “Fifty Shades of Grey” trailer is worth watching.
2. Ruby Fortune (app or website)
Sit back with a drink and play the Ladies’ Night game on Ruby Fortune. Nothing adds a little glamour to a night more than some glitzy casino games. You can even have a few of your single girlfriends over for a virtual casino night.
3. Spotify (app or website)
It’s not Spotify itself that will make your night, it’s the playlist you create or search for. Like love songs? How about this little song to melt even a snow queen’s heart:
4. Pizza Navigator (smartwatch app)
Now we’re talking! Pizza Navigator is the ultimate smartwatch app that directs you to the nearest pizzeria. What’s not to love?
5. Wake Up Well (smartwatch app)
Wake Up Well is better suited for February 15th when you may be a little hung over. This app uses the science of sleep to wake you up gently at an optimal time for your sleep cycle ensuring that you aren’t groggy throughout the day. It’s basically an artificial intelligence boyfriend.
What’s even better than strawberries dipped in chocolate? Valentine’s Day cocktails of course! Whether you’re planning a romantic night on the town with your very own Christian Grey or a “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie night in with the girls, delicious cocktails are must. Here’s a few aphrodisiac recipes bound to awaken your inner Anastasia Steele.
2 oz. Van Gogh Acai-Blueberry
4 oz. Pink Lemonade
Serve on the rocks
Pour vodka into a rocks glass with ice and top with pink lemonade. Garnish with an arrow, created by a cocktail pick with blueberries and small strawberry ‘arrow’ on the tip.
1 ½ oz. Van Gogh Coconut
½ oz. Vanilla liqueur
½ oz. Orange syrup*
Splash of Rosé Champagne
1 Chocolate covered strawberry
Muddle strawberries with the syrup, add ice, vodka and liqueur. Shake and strain into a martini glass. Top with Champagne. Garnish with chocolate covered strawberry. (*Orange syrup: 1 cup orange juice to 1 ½ cups sugar. Boil until dissolved, let cool)
1 oz. Van Gogh Espresso
1 oz. Chocolate liqueur
1 oz. White Chocolate liqueur
Splash of cream
Pour ingredients in a shaker over ice. Shake and serve in a chilled martini glass.
Over the weekend, my Dad and I spent an amazing day downtown at The New Museum of Contemporary Art. Our self-guided tour began on the second floor with stunning paintings by the English Turner Prize-winning painter, Chris Ofili. His stunning works of art featuring intricate layers of breathtaking colors, patterns and even glitter depicted everything from pop culture to epic poems. I was most taken by Ofili’s ability to tell a story and his various portrayals of women. The tour ended on the roof deck with a beautiful view of the city landscape which is always an exhibition within itself.
Call it classy or call it bizarre, but my Dad and I often bond over contemporary and conceptual art. While I can walk by a Picasso or Monet without feeling a thing, the themes, feelings and social issues contemporary pieces explore evoke intense thought and emotion. I hope to someday be a collector.
Supermodel, actress and mother Molly Sims is revealing the secrets to living a balanced and beautiful life in her new book “The Everyday Supermodel.” The book which comes out this week features Molly’s road-tested beauty, fashion, fitness and wellness tricks.
While we all know Molly Sims as a flawless magazine cover girl, like all of us, she too has battled weight issues, bad hair days, career setbacks and fashion disasters. So what’s the secret to her effortless supermodel look and confidence? Hard work and trying absolutely everything. Having tested nearly every weight loss, fashion and beauty trick, Molly is ready to share what actually works with women everywhere.
Be on the lookout for the following tips and tricks:
· Weight-loss strategies to help you end your love/hate relationship with food, like how to identify which “health foods” are fakers and a “Molly-fied Meatless Monday” plan for incorporating more veggies into your diet.
· On-the-go workouts to help you move, dance, spin, and stretch your way to a hotter, healthier and happier you—think treadmill tricks like sidestepping and skipping and tips on how to turn up your sweat in order to reduce bloating, smooth cellulite and glow.
· Chic and figure-flattering style advice for every budget, from a list of luxe for less labels to key undercover agents and hidden helpers that will help you look polished from head to toe.
· Easy-to-follow hair and makeup tutorials that will take you from the everyday to the runway, including a makeup-less, untouched close up of Molly and how she tackles her “issues” like breakouts and melasma.
· Look-good/feel-good advice to help you bounce back from setbacks, decide what you want, and make your dreams come true!
· Tips and tricks from Molly’s celebrity pals, like Rachel Zoe, Jessica Alba, Joey Maalouf and more!
· Supermomma extras from Lori Bergman’s Fertility Smoothie to natural therapies and tips to keep your body supermodel ready before, during and after pregnancy.
You can enter to win a copy of “The Everyday Supermodel” in three easy steps:
2. Comment on this post telling me what makes you an everyday supermodel. Be sure to include your email.
3. Stay fabulous!
Disclaimer: You must provide an address in the continental United States to be eligible to win. Contest ends January 22, 2015.