During New York Fashion Week, I was invited to Kendra Scott’s showroom to see her signature, fall and winter collections. I was fascinated to learn that Kendra Scott first launched her jewelry line in 2002 with just $500. Today, the Austin-based designer known for her customizable pieces is selling off the shelves at premiere retailers such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s and over 600 specialty boutiques. She also has 17 stores of her own across the south.
Throughout the evolution of her design, her pieces have become smaller and more stackable – allowing you to wear many at once. I was quite taken by her winter starstruck collection inspired by celestial glamour and constellations. It will make the perfect addition to any holiday dress.
Ever since I started college in upstate New York, I’ve been proud to call the state of New York my home. So when I came across these state pendant necklaces, it was great to see that there were pendants for every budget and every state. Not only are these necklaces excellent ways to show your state pride, they also make perfect going away gifts.
In the process of doing some much-needed spring cleaning, I went through my jewelry box and discovered a bunch of hidden treasures. The pearl necklace pictured above is from the Venezuelan island of Margarita where I’ve been many times with my family. It is also known as “La Isla de las Perlas” or the “Island of the Pearls” because of all the beautiful pearls they produce. I also found…
Irish or not, St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect time of year to show a little Celtic love by stocking up on a few lucky accessories a.k.a ‘lucky charms.’ Aside from the many stunning shades of green, my favorite Irish symbols include the four leaf clover and Claddagh. So if you’re looking to spend a little green in between beers and whiskey, here are some of my St. Paddy’s Day-themed favorites:
With a range of affordable and easy to care for eyeglasses, I recommend Coastal Contacts for anyone looking for the latest styles and classic fashions. Every potential glasses wearer should also be fully aware of the best ways to look after their favorite pair of glasses and make them last as long as possible. All glasses wearers, from newbies to long-standing devotees, should take a careful look at the following tips to ensure their specs are sparkling.
1. Always aim to clean your glasses regularly and correctly with a specially designed solution. This can also be used alongside treated microfiber hand cloths to keep glasses in the best of condition. Always rinse any excess moisture thoroughly and then allow to air dry.
2. Make sure that your glasses are protected in the best possible way. When you’re not wearing them, always store them in a hard glasses case. This goes double for night time, when a stray arm or leg can easily knock a pair of specs to the floor, possibly causing damage.
3. Inspect regularly! Make sure that the screws are tightened correctly and that the frames are perfectly in proportion and aligned correctly and comfortably. If they happen to be loose, you can use a small precision screwdriver to tighten the screws. If you are not feeling too confident in doing this, a local optician will usually be able to do it as a courtesy.
4. Never store your glasses near sources of heat. Leaving specs by a radiator or a fireplace can easily warp frames and significantly weaken treated lenses. Simply pay attention to just where you’re putting your specs down, and always use your hardened carry case.
5. Make sure your glasses stay secure during sports and activities with an eyeglasses chain or strap. These accessories can instantly stop any looseness or danger of slipping off the face. An obvious must in energetic endeavours, these products can save your glasses from the brink of disaster!
6. Use both hands when taking specs off. It may well remind you of an intellectual old professor to remove them one handed, but in terms of glasses protection it is a definite no-no. Slowly and evenly take them off with two hands, so as not to put any unwarranted pressure on the frames.
7. Always avoid placing your specs on the top of head. No matter how relaxed it may seem, it could potentially cause all sorts of problems for your beloved pair. Hair grease and fibers can create a harmful form of damage and the hard skull of the head can bend the frames out of alignment.
This guest post was written by Serenay Taylor, a freelance style and fashion writer. She is also a full-time glasses wearer.